Recent News: The American Bankers Association (ABA) announced that Finastra, FIS, Fiserv, and Jack Henry and nearly all of the rest of the country’s banking core service providers are committing to simplify the process for their bank customers to create and offer accounts that qualify for Bank On certification.
What is Bank On?
Bank On, led by national nonprofit organization the Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund (CFE Fund), works to ensure that everyone has access to a safe, affordable transactional banking account.
Key pieces of the Bank On movement include:
- The Bank On National Account Standards and accompanying certification process; read Frequently Asked Questions about Bank On certification.
- Over 90 local Bank On coalitions across the country working to expand banking access in their communities, including by connecting consumers to opportunities to access Bank On certified accounts at scale.
- The Bank On National Data Hub, established in partnership with the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, to streamline financial institution reporting and aggregate information on Bank On account opening and usage. For example, Data Hub reporting showed that 85% of Bank On certified accounts were opened by customers completely new to the financial institution.
Joining the Bank On Movement
The benefits of offering a Bank On certified account include:
- Public recognition both locally and nationally highlighting your product
- Eligibility for local programs that rely upon certification to connect your account to consumers
- National Bank On certification seal of approval for marketing outlets
Sustainable Consumer Base:
- Reach new customers in your community who are un- and underbanked and bring them into the financial mainstream
- Deliver a product with features that are in demand
- Sell your product through public and community banking access programming
- Products certified as meeting Bank On National Account Standards have been called out by banking regulators as eligible for the Community Reinvestment Act
- Streamlined reporting through the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Bank On National Data Hub
Interested in Offering a Bank On Certified Account?
If you want to learn more, please fill out the below form.
Certification Interest Form
Used to capture interest in BO certification process.
"*" indicates required fields
Does Your Account Already Meet the Bank On National Account Standards?
The CFE Fund invites financial institutions with products they believe already meet Bank On National Account Standards (2023-2024) to apply at no cost for verification and certification.
Once verified as meeting Bank On Standards by the CFE Fund’s third party evaluator, the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC), financial institutions will receive a Bank On certification seal of approval for marketing and outreach purposes; national recognition highlighting the safety, affordability, and functionality of the account; and opportunities to partner with local Bank On coalitions and other national Bank On stakeholders.
Questions? Get in touch with David Rothstein, Senior Principal, at DRothstein@cfefund.org.